After the Mill was built in 1834, people began to settle here, with homes being built on both sides of the road going west from the mill to what is now Route 40. "Old Town" was settled on the four blocks going west of Route 40. Old Town's Main Street is now called Old Mill Road. Main Street consisted of several general stores, two hotels, a livery stable, a shoe shop, taverns, a pool hall, several blacksmiths, a bank, a post office and several other businesses the people of Old Town needed to function. The town pump was located in the center of the intersection of what is now the Polo blacktop and Route 40. Families hand pumped water for drinking and household purposes. and a large tank provided water for horses and other animals. By 1886, the town fathers raised $16,000 to encourage the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad to build a track through Milledgeville.